Mechanical Engineering (PhD)
A Master’s degree (or equivalent as recognized by Université Laval) in Mechanical Engineering or a subject closely related to selected graduate work.
High Academic Achievement: The minimum Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) is 3.0 out of a possible 4.33.
Proficiency in French/English: Proficiency in either French or English is required.
- Courses are normally offered in French. However, some accommodations are possible.
- They may be taken in the 2nd year.
- Course exams are available in English.
- PhD courses may be taken as a guided study reading class in English.
Other requirements: Please note that students cannot enter the PhD program until the MSc degree has been awarded, or all requirements completed.
Compulsory Courses (5 credits)
- Written PhD Exam (3 credits, 1st semester)
- Oral PhD Exam #1 (1 credit, 3rd semester)
- Oral PhD Exam #2 (1 credit, 6th semester)
Complementary Courses (9 credits) to be chosen from:
- Optional courses list is available at: https://www.fsg.ulaval.ca/programmes-detudes/programmes/show/GMC/D-GMC/#structure
Thesis/Research credits (76 credits)
- Fundamentals of heat transfer, thermodynamics, and fluid mechanics (conduction, convection, radiation, solid-liquid phase change, phase change materials, CFD, finite volume and finite element methods, etc.).
- Industrial energy efficiency (primary aluminum production, waste heat recovery, etc.)
- Sustainable building and energy (HVAC&R systems, smart windows, thermal and visual comfort, energy simulations in buildings, etc.).
- Heat, cold, and power production (geothermal heat pumps/power plants, organic Ranking cycles, optimization of thermodynamic cycles, natural gas liquefaction, engines, etc.).
- Supply Chains; Optimization; Reliability/Maintenance; Artificial Intelligence; Operational Research; Risk Management.
Financial Support - Doctoral Funding
Semester 1, Support scholarship
Semester 2, Support scholarship
|Semester 3, Support scholarship||$500|
|Semester 4, Support scholarship||$500|
|Semester 5, Support scholarship||$500|
|Semester 6, Support scholarship||$500|
|Semester 7, Support scholarship||$500|
|Semester 8, Support scholarship||$500|
|Semester 9, Support scholarship||$500|
|Semesters 1 or 2, Success of the written PhD exam||$750|
|Semesters 1 to 3, Success of the oral PhD exam no.1||$1000|
|Semesters 1 to 13, publication, 1st author||$750|
|Semesters 1 to 12, conference, 1st author and presenter||$1000|
|Semester 12/13, Initial submission of the thesis||$1500/$1000|
* All amounts are in Canadian dollars
Expertise in heat transfer, energy efficiency, deep geothermal energy, geothermal heat pumps, thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, primary aluminum production, HVAC&R, occupant behavior, envelope and fenestration, solid-liquid phase change, waste heat recovery, energy simulations, CFD, district heating networks, sustainable development, optimization, etc.
Expertise in energy efficiency, thermodynamic cycles, power production, cold production, heat transfer, building mechanics, hydrogen fuel cells, geothermal power plants, gas liquefaction plants, power production at cryogenic temperatures, multiphysics models, porous media multi-scale models, industrial processes, etc.
Mustapha NOUR EL FATH
Expertise in Industrial Engineering, Supply Chains; Optimization, Reliability/Maintenance, Artificial Intelligence, Operational Research, Risk Management .
Email : email@example.com ; firstname.lastname@example.org
Website: www.cirrelt.ca ; https://www.gmc.ulaval.ca/departement-et-professeurs/professeurs-et-personnel/professeurs/fiche/show/nour-el-fath-mustapha/