Earth Sciences (PhD)
A Master’s degree (or equivalent as recognized by Université Laval) in Earth Sciences (mineral exploration, geochemistry, mineralogy, hydrogeology, geotechnical engineering, geomaterials, and geophysics) or a domain closely related to the selected research project.
High Academic Achievement: The minimum Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) is 3.0 out of a possible 4.33.
Proficiency in French/English: Proficiency in either French or English is required.
Courses are offered in French but the textbooks are in English. All homework and exams are available in English and the answers to exams and reports can be also written in English.
Other requirements: Please note that students cannot enter the PhD program until the MSc degree has been awarded, or all requirements completed.
Compulsory Courses (6 credits)
- There are no compulsory courses but the PhD candidates not fluent in French are encouraged to take two French courses at the beginning of their PhD program. English courses are also available.
Complementary Courses (6 credits)
To be chosen from:
- For the list of available courses, please consult the following link:
Doctoral Exam (3 credits)
- The doctoral exam shall be successfully completed before the end of the 3rd semester (first year).
- The doctoral exam is in two parts.
- Oral examination on the candidate’s knowledge in Earth Sciences and their field of specialization.
- Presentation of a research proposal submitted at least one month before the doctoral exam to the members of doctoral exam and discussion of this research proposal.
Thesis (81 credits)
- Metallogeny, mineral exploration, mineral chemistry, indicator minerals
- Hydrogeology (numerical modelling)
- Geotechnical engineering (geohazards, risk assessment, slope stability, …)
- Geophysics (critical zone geophysics, applied geophysics, geophysical logging, …)
- Cold regions engineering (heat transfer in permafrost, thaw consolidation and settlement of ice-rich permafrost, impacts of climate warming, groundwater flow in cold regions, …)
Financial Support - Doctoral Funding
|Extra per year according to the performance and progress||$1500|
* All amounts are in Canadian dollars.
Expertise in metamorphic petrology, tectonics, petrochronology, ophiolites.
Expertise in developing novel geophysical instrumentation and monitoring systems. My team develops and applies technological solutions to mineral exploration, geotechnical investigation and environmental problems.