Skip to main content


Foreign nationals are only eligible to enter Canada if they are fully vaccinated with one of the vaccines approved for entry into Canada.

Medical fellows are also required to be adequately protected against COVID-19 in accordance with Quebec rules.

Québec protection standards and vaccines approved by Canada may differ. Fellows are responsible to ensure their vaccines meet the requirements for Canada and for Québec.

Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, the process for inviting a medical fellow has changed. Please see the COVID-19 page for foreign workers and interns.

To receive the procedure to be followed during the COVID-19 pandemic, please contact

Have you been invited to Université Laval as a medical fellow?

Canadian immigration considers you to be a foreign worker.

To be invited, you must be eligible for a status at Université Laval and hold a work authorization to work from Canadian immigration. If you have an open work permit, notify the person inviting you.

Foreign workers are responsible for their immigration procedures, for respecting the conditions of their invitation and Canadian work authorization, and for extending their Canadian work permit if necessary. If their working conditions change, for more or less, a new invitation letter and work permit may be required.

Eligibility and invitation

To come as a medical fellow, you must have received a letter of invitation from Université Laval’s Faculty of Medicine. This process begins approximately 10 months before your expected arrival. For more information on the invitation process, contact

Valid passport

You must have a passport that will be valid more than three months after the end of your stay. The dates of your stay and your immigration documents cannot extend beyond your passport’s expiry date.

Processing times

Start the procedure as early as 6 months in advance  to allow sufficient time for immigration processing.

Invitation letter

You will need an invitation letter for your stay. The letter will include an LMIA-exempt job offer number and a description of your working conditions. This letter is essential for your immigration procedures and your entry into Canada.

Immigration procedure

Medical fellows must apply for a work permit. Under exemption code C45, they are exempt from an LMIA if they have a medical degree equivalent to a Canadian medical doctorate (including in dental medicine) as well as a medical specialization. They must:

Step 1. Undergo the Canadian immigration medical exam. This is always required due to contact with patients.

Step 2. Obtain permission from a professional order. This is always required due to nature of the work.

Step 3. Apply for a LMIA-exempt work permit.

If you are unsure, contact

In the event of a refusal

It may happen that a work permit or visa application is refused. Should this occur, you can contact the faculty contact person at Université Laval (PDF in French only): this person will assess your file with an immigration counsellor.

If you are advised to file a new application for a work permit, be sure to obtain a new invitation letter with a new LMIA-exempt job offer number.

Plane ticket

Important: If you require a visa and/or a work permit, you must wait until you receive your visa and/or approval for your work permit as well as all the documents required for entering Canada during the COVID-19 pandemic before you book your flight.

In all cases, wait until you have all the documents necessary for entry into Canada (see the list in the “Going through Canadian customs” section as well as the documents required for entering Canada during the COVID-19 pandemic) before booking your flight, making your travel arrangements and coming to Canada.

If necessary for administrative purposes, arrive a few days before the start of your stay at Université Laval.

Arrangements for your stay

For suggestions on accommodation and practical tips for your stay, see the  Living in Québec City section for International Students on Bureau de la vie étudiante (BVE) page. Even though you don’t have access to BVE services as a foreign worker, some of the information will be useful.

Going through Canadian customs

IMPORTANT: In addition to the following, you must provide all documents related to the COVID-19 pandemic, listed in the instructions you will receive from the Faculty of Medicine and on this page.

You will go through customs at the first Canadian airport you arrive at.

Please note that you should keep the following documents with you rather than in your checked baggage:

  • A valid passport
  • A valid electronic travel authorization or visa
  • A letter approving your work permit: follow the instructions on it and show it to the customs officer so they can print out your work permit
  • Your invitation letter with the host professor’s phone number
  • Proof that the criteria for the LMIA exemption you used (e.g.your medical degree and medical specialization)
  • If required, proof that you have passed a medical exam
  • If required, permission from a professional order
  • Any other document Canadian immigration might require before entering Canada, according to the following requirements:

The customs officer has the final say on your entry into Canada. If everything is in order, he or she will issue your work permit. Before leaving customs, check that all the information on the permit is correct, particularly with regard to your identity, the employer (Université Laval), the city (Quebec City), the status under which you have been invited (medical fellow), the expiry date (covering at least duration of the invitation, unless your passport expires earlier), the LMIA-exempt job offer number and the conditions listed (e.g. as you have passed the medical exam, it must not show any restrictions on working with patients, children or the elderly). It is best to have any errors corrected on the spot as even one mistake could prevent you from working in Canada for several weeks.

Social Insurance number (SIN)

You must have a social insurance number (SIN) to receive a salary or scholarship (grant) from Université Laval or another Canadian employer.

You can go to the nearest Service Canada office to request a SIN (once you have completed your mandatory quarantine, if required). To do so, you must make an appointment online first and bring your passport and original work permit.

Health and hospitalization insurance

Medical fellows are generally eligible for coverage under the Québec health insurance plan.

Barring exceptions, you will qualify after a maximum waiting period of 3 months after registering.

Medical fellows who do not have coverage will be required to take out private health and hospitalization insurance during the waiting period and to provide proof of such coverage to the Faculty of Medicine’s Vice-décanat aux études médicales postdoctorales. Failure to do so will render their registration impossible.

If you have family members with you, make sure they have adequate health insurance coverage.

Depending on your personal or family needs, take out complementary private insurance of your choice.

If you have any questions about insurance, send an email to


As mentioned, this process starts about 10 months before your expected arrival. You can register through

Work permit extension

If need be, you can request a work permit extension. You will be required to undergo a new Canadian immigration medical exam (the results expire after 12 months) and to request an extension of the permission from the professional order.

For more information

Depending on where you are, you can refer to the following resources:

Outside Canada:

Inside Canada:

If necessary, contact

This website is intended to provide general information on current procedures, which may change at any time without notice. Québec and Canada laws and regulations in effect as well as the websites of the Ministère de l'Immigration, de la Francisation et de l'Inclusion (MIFI) and Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) take precedence over this website. This page was last updated on: 2022-01-19