Skip to main content

Getting a social insurance number (SIN)


Student Life Office
418 656-2765
Workshops and Conferences
Student Advising

The social insurance number (SIN) is a nine-digit identification number required for working in Canada and receiving wages, whether on or off campus. Your SIN is confidential, and it is important to protect it from fraudulent use. There is no fee to apply for a SIN.

There are different ways to apply for a SIN:

  • Apply in person at a Service Canada office: You first have to make an appointment using the service request form. You will get a response within 48 hours. You will get your SIN the same day as your appointment.
  • Apply online: You will receive your SIN within 20 business days. If you haven’t received your SIN by then, call 1-866-274-6627. 

Required documents:

Primary identity document

Provide 1 of the following documents:

  • Work permit issued by IRCC
  • Study permit issued by IRCC which indicates the permit holder “may work” or “may accept employment.” If none of these conditions appear on your study permit and should have, you must apply to amend your study permit and wait for your new permit before applying for a SIN. Applying to amend your study permit doesn’t cost anything.

Secondary document

Provide one document that must contain the legal name (family name and given name) and the date of birth (example: passport).

Renewing your study permit or work permit

Your SIN will have to be extended each time you renew your study permit or work permit. If you apply online, select “Change of the Expiry Date (900 series SIN)” under “Application Type”.

Becoming a permanent resident

You have to apply for a new SIN when you become a permanent resident. If you apply online, select “Change of Status” under “Application Type”.


The Bureau de la vie étudiante – BVE (Student Life Office) regularly offers presentations about this. See their website for details.

Service Canada


The Immigration section of this website is intended to provide general information on current procedures, which may change at any time without notice. The laws and regulations in force in Québec and Canada, as well as the websites of Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Francisation et de l’Intégration [Québec’s ministry of immigration, francisation, and integration] (MIFI) and Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), take precedence over this page.

Last updated on: 2023-11-21