Skip to main content

Working or doing an internship in Canada after your student exchange program


Student Life Office
418 656-2765
Workshops and Conferences
Student Advising

After your exchange, you will need a work permit to work or do an internship in Canada.

Although your study permit is still valid during the summer after your exchange, if you don’t intend to re-register for the fall semester at a Canadian educational institution, you can’t work during the summer with your study permit.  Similarly, if you complete your exchange in the fall semester and hold a study permit, you can’t use this permit to work during the holiday break if you don’t intend to re-register for the winter semester at a Canadian educational institution.

Here are different options for obtaining a work permit.

The Bureau de la vie étudiante – BVE (Student Life Office) regularly offers presentations about this. See their website for details.

The Immigration section of this website is intended to provide general information on current procedures, which may change at any time without notice. The laws and regulations in force in Québec and Canada, as well as the websites of Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Francisation et de l’Intégration [Québec’s ministry of immigration, francisation, and integration] (MIFI) and Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), take precedence over this page.

Last updated on: 2023-08-09