Making a sustainable mark on the world


Working in Canada

Getting a social insurance number (SIN)


A social insurance number is a mandatory identification number you need to hold a job and earn money in Canada, whether on campus or off.

To get a social insurance number, you must go to a Service Canada office with your passport and your study or work permit.

You must have one of the following conditions or remarks printed on your study permit in order to apply for a SIN for on and off-campus work:

  • May work 20 hrs per week off-campus or full-time during regular breaks if meeting criteria outlined in section 186(v) of IRPR
  • May accept employment on or off campus if meeting eligibility criteria as per R186(f), (v) or (w). Must cease working if no longer meeting these criteria

If your study permit does not have one of the above conditions or remarks following an error by an agent, you must submit a request for an amendment to your study permit before you can apply for a SIN. There is no fee for this request. Don’t forget to send your proof of enrollment with your request.

If your situation has changed and you are now allowed to work, you must apply to change the conditions of your study permit and pay the applicable fee.

For more information, see the Social Insurance Number section of the Service Canada website.

Your social insurance number must be extended each time you renew your study permit or work permit.

Service Canada contact information



3229, Chemin Quatre-Bourgeois
Québec City (Sainte-Foy district)

Bus route from Alphonse-Desjardins building (Université Laval): Take bus 800 or 801 towards Marly Station (west) and get off at Duchesneau


Du Littoral Complex, suite 101
2500, boulevard Montmorency
Québec City (La Cité-Limoilou district)

Bus route from Alphonse-Desjardins building (Université Laval): Take bus 800 towards Beauport, get off at Canardière/Mailloux intersection. Walk to Courtemanche/Sainte-Anne intersection (5 to 8 minute).


Important note: This website is intended to provide general information on current procedures, which may change at any time without notice. Quebec and Canadian laws and regulations in effect as well as the websites of Ministère de l'Immigration, de la Diversité et de l'Inclusion (MIDI), and Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) take precedence over this website.
This page was last updated on: 30-04-2019