Skip to main content


Student Life Office
418 656-2765
Workshops and Conferences
Student Advising



You can request a change to your study permit free of charge if it contains an error that was made by the Canadian Immigration officer when it was issued. For example, if there is an error in your name or your date of birth, or if an adequate mention concerning the right to work on or off campus does not appear in the Conditions or Remarks/Observations section of your study permit and should appear there.

For the students registered in a program leading to a degree, diploma or certificate from Université Laval or those on an exchange stay of more than six months, the statement should be similar to the following: “May accept employment on the campus or off campus if meeting admissibility criteria, per R186f), v) or w). Must cease working if no longer meeting these criteria.”

For students on exchange for less than six months or those in pre-university learning, non-degree studies, learning French or in a professional development program, the mention should be similar to: “This permit does not authorize the holder to engage in off-campus employment in Canada. May accept employment only on campus if meeting the eligibility criteria described in R186f). Must cease working if not longer meets these criteria.” or “May accept employment on campus of the institution where registered as a full-time student.”

You should not use this procedure if you are responsible for the error or if your situation has changed since you made your initial permit application. For example, if you have not passed the medical examination and you want to work or do internships with certain clients (children, the elderly, etc.) or in certain settings (elementary and secondary schools, daycare centres, healthcare centres, clinical laboratories, hospitals, etc.) by using the right to work granted by your study permit although restrictions for these clientele are indicated therein. You must in such case pass your medical examination with a doctor authorized by the IRCC and apply for a new study permit by filling the application to modify the conditions and paying the $150 processing fee again.

You will find all the information and the form to submit a free modification request on this IRCC site. You will need to complete the required form and send it to Ottawa at the address indicated on the form, with all the relevant documents, including the original copy of your work permit. We recommend that you carefully read the Instruction Guide (IMM 5218) available on the same page before sending your application.

The Immigration section of this website is intended to provide general information on current procedures, which may change at any time without notice. The laws and regulations in force in Québec and Canada, as well as the websites of Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Francisation et de l’Intégration [Québec’s ministry of immigration, francisation, and integration] (MIFI) and Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), take precedence over this page.

Last updated on: 2022-12-19