Skip to main content

Enrolling in the health and hospitalization insurance plan for international students


Registrar's Office
418 656-3080

Québec and Canadian immigration laws require international students to have valid health and hospitalization insurance for the entire duration of their stay in Canada.

At Université Laval, all international students are automatically covered by the Université Laval group health and hospitalization insurance plan through Desjardins Insurance. This medical insurance plan covers medical and hospital expenses, as well as the cost of prescription drugs.

This coverage is mandatory. You can’t replace it with any personal insurance.

Students from countries with which the Québec government has signed reciprocal social security agreements (Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Greece, Luxembourg, Norway, Portugal, Romania, Serbia ans Sweden) may be exempt. These students have to take certain steps before they leave their home country and when they arrive in Québec.

Health and hospitalization insurance with Desjardins (mandatory)

Exemptions from the mandatory insurance

Supplemental health insurance with ASEQ

Summary of the different insurances

For  more information on Desjardins health and hospitalization insurance or on how to get the RAMQ, write to For any questions about supplemental insurance with ASEQ, see the ASEQ website.

The Immigration section of this website is intended to provide general information on current procedures, which may change at any time without notice. The laws and regulations in force in Québec and Canada, as well as the websites of Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Francisation et de l’Intégration [Québec’s ministry of immigration, francisation, and integration] (MIFI) and Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), take precedence over this page.

Last updated on: 2024-07-08