A Cutting-edge Research and Development University
$377 million in research funds, ranking Université Laval sixth out of the top 50 research universities in Canada.
Over 270 research centres, chairs, institutions and otherresearch structures:
- 4 Canada Excellence Research Chairs (CERC), the most at any Canadian university to date
- 80 Canada Research Chairs
- 70 Partnership Research Chairs
- 41 research centres recognized by the University Council
- 10 interdisciplinary institutes
- 1 mixed research unit (UMR)
- 4 international mixed units (UMI)
A number of affiliated research institutions, including the CHU de Québec-Université Laval Research Centre, North America’s leading French-language centre for health research.
Host of Institut nordique du Québec, which conducts research on major issues in sustainable northern development. Also a founder of AllianceSanté Québec, which brings together major players in health and social services research from the greater Québec City area. Recipient, in 2015, of a $98 million grant from the Canada First Research Excellence Fund — the single largest grant in the university’s history, and confirmation of Université Laval’s national and international leadership in Arctic science, optics/photonics, cardiometabolic health, and mental health.