Future students

I am building my future.
Over 500 undergraduate and graduate programs


International Applicants


University Education in Canada and Québec

Studying at a French-language university in Canada for your bachelor's, master's or PhD degree is a dream that’s more attainable than you may think. In fact, it’s exactly what Université Laval is offering you. UL is located in the capital city of Québec and is a member of the Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada (AUCC).

Canada ranks among the top three countries in the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (ODCD) for per capita expenditures on education. A Canadian university degree is recognized worldwide, which means prosperous and productive careers await international students with Canadian university diplomas.

In Québec, the academic year usually begins in late August and ends in mid-April, but it is also possible to start in January, May-June or July-August. Diplomas and university programs correspond to a North American system of education. To obtain a diploma, students must complete a certain number of credits. These credits represent a value assigned to each course based on the number of class hours, the individual work required, and the difficulty of the course. One North American credit is considered equivalent to two ECT credits. Generally, a North American bachelor’s degree program has between 90 and 120 credits, a master’s program 45 credits, and a PhD program 90 credits or more.


Studying at Université Laval in Québec City

Admission to Université Laval is based primarily on your academic record. Requirements vary by program. Applicants must also demonstrate sufficient mastery of the language of instruction, which is French. Furthermore, you will have to improve your language skills at the School of Languages, either to reach an advanced level in English (required for all bachelor’s, master’s, and PhD degrees) or another language.

As an international student, two options are available to you for your studies at Université Laval in Québec City.

Graduating from Université Laval

Start by choosing a program that matches your interests, then check your eligibility. The general requirement for admission to an undergraduate program is a diploma equivalent to a Québec Diploma of College Studies (DCS, known as a DEC in French), or a pre-university diploma totalling 12 years of schooling.

High marks are also required in some programs. For admission to a master’s program, the equivalent of a North American bachelor’s degree is required. For admission to a PhD program, the equivalent of a North American master’s degree is required. There are also additional specific requirements for each program.

To apply for admission, you may submit your application for admission online or by mail, as long as you meet the deadline. You must complete the application process on your own. Read the basic scholarship and admission precautions for international students.

After submitting your application, you will receive the necessary information to track the status of your application online in Capsule. If you are accepted, you will be invited to accept the admission offer online.


Non-francophone Applicants

French Immersion

French immersion courses allow non-francophone students to obtain a bachelor's degree at Université Laval while becoming bilingual. A non-francophone is someone who has completed neither their primary nor their secondary education in French.

Learn more about French immersion


Educational Equivalency

Did you study in any of the following countries? Find out the Québec equivalence of your diplomas according to your country.   

Applicants from Brazil
Applicants from Chile
Applicants from China
Applicants from Colombia
Applicants from Mexico
Applicants from the United States
Applicants from Vietnam

For the list of equivalencies generally granted for various international diplomas, see Guide des niveaux de formation pour l'admission générale des candidats non québécois (French only).


Legal Procedures for Entry into Canada

Foreign nationals admitted to a program of more than 6 months must go through immigration procedures with the Canadian and Québec governments to obtain a Québec Certificate of Acceptance (CAQ) and a Study Permit (Canada). Foreign nationals from certain countries are also required to obtain a temporary resident visa in addition to the Study Permit. If this is your case, you must send your original passport with your admission application. If the Study Permit is granted, the visa will be issued at the same time and at no additional cost.

Québec Certificate of Acceptance for Studies (CAQ)

International students admitted to an education program in Québec must obtain a Québec Certificate of Acceptance (CAQ), issued by Québec's ministère de l'Immigration, de la Diversité et de l'Inclusion. The CAQ is a prerequisite to receiving a Canadian Study Permit and, where required, a temporary resident visa. We recommend that you start preparing your application as early as possible so that it is ready to submit as soon as you receive your admission letter from Université Laval.

Study Permit

To study in Canada, you must also have a Study Permit in hand when you arrive in the country. Visit the Government of Canada website for information on how to apply.


Mandatory Medical and Hospital Insurance

Québec and Canadian immigration laws require all non-Canadian students to hold a valid medical and hospital insurance for their entire stay in Canada.


Tuition and Other Expenses

In view of the immigration process, you must ensure you have the financial resources to cover all your tuition fees and living expenses in Québec before leaving your country.

Living and housing costs in Québec City are moderate compared to other North American cities, which makes Université Laval an excellent choice for a financially affordable education.

Tuition fees for international students are divided into two distinct components: first, the tuition fees that apply to Québec students and second, the supplemental international student fees required by the Québec government.

Supplemental tuition fee exemptions

There is Supplemental Tuition Fees Exemption Scholarship Program for international students.



International students are eligible to certain scholarship and grant programs, mainly at the graduate levels. Scholarships and grants can be a significant source of funding. US citizens can request a loan from their government through the US Department of Education DLP program, for which Université Laval holds management accreditation. DLP funding is available to students enrolled in bachelor's, master's and PhD programs.


Working While Studying

As an international student, you can hold a job on and outside campus without requiring a work permit. However, you must have a valid Study Permit and be a full-time student.

For more information, go to Université Laval Placement Service.


Campus Housing

Reasonable rent and numerous services make our four Université Laval residences the most affordable and practical housing solution in Québec City. Home to over 2,300 students from nearly 80 nationalities, residence is more than just a place to live—it’s a window on the world! If you’d like to live in residence, you’ll need to reserve before your arrival. Currently, students can make a reservation before receiving confirmation of admission to Université Laval.

Take a virtual tour of the residences (in French)


Orientation and Integration of International Students

Université Laval makes every effort to welcome international students and help them settle in to life in Québec. Along with the many services offered to all students, you can take advantage of special additional services, including


International Students under 18

In Québec the age of majority is 18.  If you are under 18 upon arrival, the Québec government requires you to have a guardian until you reach the age of majority. If you are unable to find a guardian in Québec, Université Laval can help by arranging to have the university residence manager act as a tutor, on condition that you live at the residence during your stay here. To make this arrangement, your parents must complete the form letter requesting guardianship of a minor. On receipt of this letter, the residence manager at Université Laval will send you the documents you need to enclose with with your application for Québec Certificate of Acceptance (CAQ).


UL on Tour

Throughout the year, student information officers attend various education fairs, particularly in France, Belgium, Senegal, Mexico and Brazil. Come meet them and discover what UL has to offer!