Research and training internships
A research or training internship provides you with an excellent opportunity to get acquainted with the world of Québec R&D and lay the groundwork for future collaborations. Please note that most of the links in this section are in French only.
Finding an internship supervisor
You are responsible for finding a professor who agrees to host you and supervise your project.
Visit the Find a research topic and supervisor page for advice on the best way to proceed based on your field of study, and for resources to help you identify a professor you would like to work with. Please remember that responsibility for finding a supervisor lies entirely with you.
It's important to consider that the Act to ensure the protection of trainees in the workplace applies to research or training interns. For more information on your rights and responsibilities.
Checking your eligibility
To qualify as an intern, you must meet the following criteria:
- Currently be a student at a Canadian university outside Québec or a foreign university.
- Be invited and supervised by a regular UL faculty member who agrees to oversee your internship.
- Have the required financial resources for your entire stay (return plane ticket, travel during your internship, accommodations, living expenses, and insurance, if necessary).
- Respect the condition regarding the maximum duration of the internship (12 months per level of study). However, if you have received an excellence grant from your government (CSC, CAPES, JSPS...) for a research stay of more than 12 months, please contact the International Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are not a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada, you must:
- Successfully complete immigration procedures authorizing temporary entry in Canada. View the information on work permits and visa requirements.
Invitations for training and research internships can only be issued by regular faculty members at Université Laval. The International Office cannot help applicants find an internship.
You must first fill out an online form that will be sent to you by the International Office at the request of the professor who has agreed to supervise you. This form will be used to follow up on your request.
If required by your institution or the Faculty, you will need to agree upon the terms of your internship with your supervisor by completing and signing a training or research internship agreement (DOC).
Your supervisor at Université Laval will provide you with an invitation letter you can use to undertake temporary immigration procedures, if necessary.
Professors who wish to invite an intern must consult the information on hosting training and research interns.
Admission and registration
Read about the steps leading to your admission.
Upon your arrival, you need to register with the Registrar’s Office.
You cannot start your internship until you receive the Registrar confirmation email, which is why it’s important to arrive a few days early to complete these formalities.