Skip to main content

Doing an internship for credit as part of your Université Laval study program


Student Life Office
418 656-2765

If you are doing an internship as part of your study program, you may need to get a work permit through the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) co-op work permit program.

Under Canadian immigration rules, student internships, even when unpaid, are considered work and require a work permit.

Students registered full-time at Université Laval who hold a valid study permit are allowed to:

  • work on campus with no limit to the number of hours
  • work off campus 20 hours per week during regular academic semesters and full time during academic breaks

See the section on Working during your studies for more information.

You do not need a work permit to do an internship if your internship falls within the right-to-work limits of your study permit and if you meet all the following conditions:
•    You meet all the right-to-work conditions for people with a study permit.
•    You do not work more than 20 hours per week off campus during regular academic semesters (this work includes your internship work and any other off-campus employment, if applicable).
•    You have a study permit that indicates that you have the right to work off campus (if not, see the page on Getting a social insurance number (SIN)).

However, if your internship is mandatory and you want your internship time to one day be counted towards an application for the Certificat de sélection du Québec (CSQ – Québec selection certificate) through the Programme de l’expérience québécoise (PEQ – Québec experience program) for graduates, you still need to have a work permit.

The Immigration section of this website is intended to provide general information on current procedures, which may change at any time without notice. The laws and regulations in force in Québec and Canada, as well as the websites of Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Francisation et de l’Intégration [Québec’s ministry of immigration, francisation, and integration] (MIFI) and Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), take precedence over this page.

Last updated on: 2022-06-08