Making a sustainable mark on the world


Working in Canada

Working during your studies


Interested in working in Canada during your studies? Students might be permitted to work on- and off-campus. You must have a social insurance number (SIN) in order to get paid. For more information, see the Social Insurance Number section.

The rules that apply to working off-campus are different than those that apply to on-campus employment, so pay special attention to the information below.

Please note you must be registered full-time during the fall and winter semesters to be eligible to work under your study permit. If, after withdrawing one or more courses, you become a part-time student, you lose the right to work during the current semester and subsequent scheduled break that follow.

On-campus employment

 Full-time students holding a study permit can work on campus during the fall and winter semesters. Students are allowed to work during the summer if they were registered full-time in the previous winter semester.

Off-campus employment

Full-time students during fall and winter semesters holding a valid study permit and registered in a program that is at least six months in duration at Université Laval are permitted to work off campus:

  • up to 20 hours per week during regular academic sessions and
  • full-time during scheduled breaks, such as winter and summer holidays or fall and spring breaks.

New students registered at Université Laval may start working on the first day of classes of their first semester. If you arrive a few weeks early, you will not be able to start working until your program of study begins.

Students not authorized to work off-campus

You may not work off-campus, even if you have a study permit, if you are registered:

  • In non-degree studies
  • In pre-university training
  • In a French language learning program (FLE, FLS)
  • In an exchange program
  • Part-time
  • In a research or training internship
  • In postdoctoral training

You and your employer must determine if you are authorized to work before starting a job. If you work without fulfilling the eligibility criteria, it is an offence under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act. You may voluntarily leave Canada, or you may be subject to an inadmissibility determination or hearing. This could lead to your removal from Canada. You will lose your temporary resident status and any permit you have, if you break any of the conditions of your stay.


Important note: This website is intended to provide general information on current procedures, which may change at any time without notice. Quebec and Canadian laws and regulations in effect as well as the websites of Ministère de l'Immigration, de la Diversité et de l'Inclusion (MIDI), and Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) take precedence over this website.
This page was last updated on: 23-03-2016