Skip to main content

Applying for post-graduation work permit


Student Life Office
418 656-2765
Workshops and Conferences
Student Advising

If you have completed your studies and would like to stay in Canada to work, you can apply for a post-graduation work permit from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). This will give you temporary worker status, which will replace your temporary student status. Here is a chart that summarizes the immigration procedures to undertake once your studies are complete. 

To apply for a post-graduation work permit, you must have met all the requirements of your study program. This includes your program’s language requirements because you need to meet them to be able to graduate. It isn’t recommended that you wait until the end of your program to meet these requirements. It is best to take the appropriate language tests at the beginning of your study program and to take any required courses during your studies.

International graduate students who remain in Canada as study permit holders must remain enrolled until the end of their studies and their final graduation. Registration, therefore, is required during the evaluation of an essay, report, dissertation and thesis, and this, until the final submission and defense if required. If you stay in Canada during this time, you must have been enrolled for every semester until you graduated. See “International students: Registration for additional semesters after initial submission" on the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies (FESP) website.

The Bureau de la vie étudiante – BVE (Student Life Office) regularly offers presentations about this. See their website for details.

The Immigration section of this website is intended to provide general information on current procedures, which may change at any time without notice. The laws and regulations in force in Québec and Canada, as well as the websites of Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Francisation et de l’Intégration [Québec’s ministry of immigration, francisation, and integration] (MIFI) and Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), take precedence over this page.

Last updated on: 2024-04-04