Making a sustainable mark on the world


Regular students

Programs lasting 6 months or less


Once you receive your Université Laval admission offer, the next step is to obtain the necessary permits to study in Québec from the Canadian immigration authorities. This process can take a few months, so you should get started as soon as you receive your electronic admission letter from Université Laval. No printed version of the admission offer will be produced.

If your study period in Canada lasts 6 months or less, you enter as a visitor and are not required to obtain a Québec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ) for studies or a study permit. However, upon arrival, you must present your acceptance letter and a visa or an electronic travel authorization, if applicable, to the immigration officer.

Important: The duration of the program of study is a more important consideration than the number of months you intend to study in Canada. With the exception of exchange programs, even if you plan to study for six months or less in Canada, if the course or program is longer than six months, you need a CAQ and a study permit. Please refer to our section Programs lasting more than 6 months. This is the case for the following students:

  • Dual degree program within a master's program
  • Cotutelle agreement which request attendance at Université Laval for 6 months or less
  • Examinations for doctoral degree

Immigration requirements


You must hold a valid passport to apply to study in Canada. Ideally, your passport should be valid for at least three months after the end of your study period or intership in Canada. Your immigration documents (study or work permit and, if applicable, temporary resident visa or eTA) are only valid so long as your passport is.

Notes: It is possible to apply for a Québec Acceptance Certificate for studies using a passport that will expire during the course of your studies. However, we recommend that you apply for your study permit and visa using a passport that will remain valid for the entire study period

Renewing your passport in Canada

If your passport expires during your study period or internship, you will have to renew it in order to extend your immigration documents before they expire. Contact your home country's consulate or embassy in Canada for more information.

Temporary Resident Visa (VRT) and Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)

Citizens of all countries except the United States and other minor exceptions must obtain a temporary resident visa (TRV) or electronic travel authorization (eTA) from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) to be able to enter Canada. The visa is placed in your passport by the Canadian visa office that serves your country of residence, while the electronic travel authorization is linked electronically with your passport.

If you apply for a student permit online, you will receive once your permit awarded an e-mail with instructions as where to send your passport to the canadian passport office covering your country.

The type of document you need to come to Canada (TRV or eTA) depends on your country of citizenship.
There is a C$100 fee for the visa and a C$7 fee for the eTA (fee in effect May 1 2019).

Applying for a temporary resident visa (TRV) - 2 ways to apply


You may apply online using the MyCIC service. You will need to create an account on the Immigration, Refuges and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website upload scanned copies of the required documents and pay the fee by credit card. To create an account and apply online, go to the online application section of the IRCC website.

For citizens of countries needing a visa, you must send your passport to the Canadian visa office that serves your country of residence for placement of your visa stamp. 

Consult the instruction guide on the IRCC website for help filling out the forms and gathering the required supporting documents. 

At a Canada Visa Application Centre (VAC)

You may apply at a Canada Visa Application Centre (VAC) in person and, depending of your VAC, by mail. VACs are independent organizations authorized by Immigration, Refugees and CitizenshipCanada (IRCC) to accept visa applications, review them for completeness, and send them to the appropriate IRCC office for review. There are certain advantages to using VAC services, although there is an associated cost. To learn more about the full range of services offered by VACs and find your nearest centre, visit the Visa Application Centre section of the IRCC website.

Forms and instructions for applying for a visitor visa from outside Canada


Applying for an electronic travel authorization (eTA) - Only available online

Canada recently introduced a new entry requirement, the Electronic Travel Authorization, for visa-exempt foreign nationals who fly into Canada. U.S. citizens are among those exempted from the requirement.


The eTA is directly linked to your passport and is valid for five years or until your passport expires (whichever comes first). There is a C$7 application fee for the electronic travel authorization. The eTA application is an online form that takes just a few minutes to complete. To apply, you need a valid passport, an email address, and a credit card.
Apply for an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)



Citizens of all countries except the United States and other minor exceptions have to give their biometrics in order to obtain a visa or permit.

Important: Persons needing only an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) do not have to provide biometrics.

Fee: $85 biometric fee in addition to the visa application fee.

In the hours following submission of your online application, you will receive the 'instruction letter' in your MyCIC account with instructions to submit your biometrics at  a collection service point.

IMPORTANT: Processing of your application begins only after reception of your biometric information.

Medical exam

Persons who reside or have resided for six months or more in the past year in certain countries need a medical exam by a IRCC-approved physician if they plan to stay in Canada for 6 months or more. You should allow at least one month for this process and you are responsible for the cost of the exam. The embassy that handles your case will contact you and provide instructions as needed.

Health and hospitalization insurance

To get the most out of your studies in Québec and make sure you’re covered in the event the unexpected happens, you need health and hospitalization insurance.

Québec and Canadian immigration law requires non-Canadian students to have valid health and hospitalization insurance for the duration of their stay in Canada.

Upon your arrival on canadian territory, as soon as August 15th for the fall session, December 15th for the winter session and April 15th for the summer session, all international students are automatically covered by the Desjardins Insurance’s health and hospitalization plan. 

Family members traveling with you may also be covered by an insurance plan offered by Desjardins Insurance. For information: Visitors to Canada Insurance.

Students registered in a Université Laval regular program are automatically enroled in supplemental dental insurance through their student association, with the option of cancelling it. Visit the student association health insurance website for more information (French only).

Depending on your specific needs, we recommend that you take out additional insurance if necessary.

Cost of mandatory insurance

Health and hospitalization insurance fees will appear on your electronic tuition fee invoice. New students are covered as soon as they set foot on Canadian soil, no earlier than August 15 for the fall semester, December 15 for the winter semester, and April 15 for the summer semester.

Cost for the 2019-2020 academic year:

  • Coverage for regular students
    September 1 - August 31: $900
    January 1 - August 31: $600
    May 1 - August 31: $300

  • Coverage for visiting (exchange) students
    Cost per semester: $300
    Insurance is billed each semester for the duration of the study period. For example, for a 2-semester study period, you will receive 2 separate invoices of $300.

Receiving your insurance card:

Sometime during your first few weeks at Université Laval, you will receive an email notifying you that your insurance card is ready for pickup at the Registrar’s Office.

Related links

Exemptions from the mandatory health insurance plan

Some international students may be exempt from the Université Laval health insurance plan, including students from countries with which the Québec government has signed reciprocal social security agreements (Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Greece, Luxembourg, Norway, Portugal, Romania and Sweden). These students may be eligible for coverage by Québec's public health insurance plan, the Régie de l'assurance maladie du Québec (RAMQ).

To be eligible for benefits under these agreements, students must take certain steps before leaving their home country and once in Québec. Contact your home healthcare organization to find out whether you are covered by the social security agreement and to get the necessary documents. Visit the Régie de l'assurance maladie du Québec (RAMQ) website for more information.

Other exemptions are available, namely for students on academic scholarships.

Students covered by RAMQ and enroled in a master's, advanced graduate diploma (DESS), or PhD program may sign up for supplemental dental insurance through their student association, are automatically enroled in supplemental dental insurance through their student association, with the option of cancelling this coverage. Visit the student association health insurance website for more information.

Related links

Student insurance plan summary table
Prescription drugs
Université Laval
Student health
Student health
Automatic enrolment  XX 
Self-enrolmentXX  X
Costs to be paid  XXX
Option of adding spouse and dependent(s)XX NOTEXX

NOTE : Desjardins offers an insurance product that is separate from your group insurance for your family members. For more information: Visitors to Canada Insurance.

Country of citizenshipLevel of studyRAMQ
Prescription drugs
Université Laval
Student health
Student health
Belgium and metropolitan FranceUndergraduateX X  
GraduateXX X X
Exchange programXX  
Denmark, Finland, Greece, Luxembourg, Norway, Portugal, SwedenUndergraduateX   
GraduateX X X
Exchange programX  
All other countries Undergraduate  X 
GraduateX X
Exchange programX 
Coverage at a glance
Coverage at a glance*RAMQ
Prescription drugs
Université Laval
Studen health
Student health
Medical consultationX  X 
Prescription drugsXX  
Eye examX  X
Eyeglasses and contact lenses  X
AmbulanceX  X
Travel outside Québec
(travel insurance)
X  X
Specialists in the RAMQ health network: cardiologist, anesthesiologist,
dermatologist, gastroenterologist, neurologist, psychiatrist, etc. 
Specialists outside the RAMQ health network: physical therapist,
chiropractor, osteopath, psychologist, etc.
X  X
Dental care
(exam, cleaning, surgery)

*This table provides a summary of insurance coverage. Be sure to double check your coverage, conditions, and exemptions before seeking non-urgent care. Your insurance may only reimburse 50% or 80%, not 100%, of the cost of certain services, or there may be a maximum annual limit.

Related link


Important note: This website is intended to provide general information on current procedures, which may change at any time without notice. Quebec and Canadian laws and regulations in effect as well as the websites of Ministère de l'Immigration, de la Francisation et de l'Intégration (MIFI), and Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) take precedence over this website.
This page was last updated on: 30-04-2019