Making a sustainable mark on the world


Working in Canada

Getting a post-graduation work permit

Post-graduation work permit

If you have completed your studies and would like to stay in Canada to work, you can apply for a temporary post-graduation work permit to replace your study permit.

A post-graduation work permit is valid for the same duration as your program of study, or a minimum of 8 months and a maximum of 3 years.  If you have earned a bachelor’s, master’s, or doctoral degree, the permit is usually valid for 3 years.

To be eligible, you must have fulfilled all the conditions of your program, including language requirements, internships, dissertation defense, and final submission.

You must apply within 180 days of completing your studies, and your study permit must have been valid at one point during the 180 days.

Processing times are usually much longer by mail, so consider doing it online.

You can check processing times for applications submitted inside Canada at the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website.

There is a C$255 application fee (Fees valid 1st May 2019) for the post-graduation work permit.  

Standard documents required to get a post-graduation work permit:

  • Official confirmation that you have completed your program of study and final transcripts
  • Valid study permit
  • Passport
  • Passport photograph
  • Other documents specific to your situation (e.g., medical exam)

Once you have your post-graduation work permit, you will be eligible for a number of Québec and Canadian social security programs, including health insurance offered by Régie de l’assurance maladie du Québec (RAMQ). Apply for your health insurance card as early as possible, because a waiting period of up to 3 months may apply.

An application for a work permit submitted inside Canada does not include a temporary resident visa (TRV) application. You must wait to apply for the TRV until you have received your new work permit. There is an application fee for the visa.

Note: Receiving the permit to work in Canada
When you apply for a work permit from within Canada, it will be mailed directly to your place of residence in Québec. When you receive it, staple it in your passport. Notify IRCC of any change of address after you have submitted your application.

How to apply:


Apply online using the MyCIC service. You will need to create an account on the IRCC  website, pay the online application fee, and upload scanned copies of the required documents. To create an account and apply online, go to the online application section of the IRCC website.

When your application is approved, you will receive electronic confirmation via your MyCIC account and your permit will be mailed to you within a few days.

The instruction guide available on the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website tells you how to fill out the forms and gather the required supporting documents.


Medical exam

To be able to work in certain fields (e.g., health, education, preschool education), you must undergo a medical exam by a Canadian government–approved physician. If this is your case, plan to have the exam 8 to 12 weeks before you apply for your work permit.

Students who have lived in certain countries for 6 months or more in the past year may be required to undergo a medical exam.

You are responsible for the cost of the exam. The processing centre that handles your case will contact you and provide instructions as needed.

Find out if you need a medical exam.


Important note: This website is intended to provide general information on current procedures, which may change at any time without notice. Quebec and Canadian laws and regulations in effect as well as the websites of Ministère de l'Immigration, de la Francisation et de l'Intégration (MIFI), and Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) take precedence over this website.
This page was last updated on: 30-04-2019