Making a sustainable mark on the world


Student Exchanges

Length of Stay and Extension


Exchange students must determine the length of stay with their institutional representative before leaving for Université Laval.

For stays over 6 months, Quebec and Canadian immigration law requires that all legal authorizations to study in Quebec (CAQ and study permits) be requested, issued, and received by the Registrar’s Office no later than the first day of the semester. The exchange program acceptance letter is the official document students use to apply to the immigration authorities (the letter indicates the length of stay). Processing times for CAQ and study permit applications vary from 2 to 4 months, depending on country of origin.

Exchange students who did not make prior arrangements to stay more than 6 months and who wish to extend their stay must obtain authorization from their home institution and Université Laval. They are also responsible for obtaining a CAQ and a study permit within the prescribed time period, failing which the Registrar’s Office cannot register them for an additional semester.