Making a sustainable mark on the world


International Office
Maison Eugène-Roberge
2325, rue des Arts
Université Laval
Québec City, Québec G1V 0A6

Phone: 418-656-3994
Fax: 418-656-2531

Monday to Friday
8:30 a.m.–noon and 1:00–4:30 p.m.


Frequently Asked Questions

General Questions


How is a bachelor’s degree defined in Québec?

The bachelor’s degree is an undergraduate diploma that requires at least three years of study in a formal program. In some disciplines—such as engineering and health sciences—it takes four or five years to earn a bachelor’s degree.

For more information, visit the page describing the Québec education system.


How is the academic year organized in Québec?

The academic year consists of three semesters (or terms):

  • Fall (September to December)
  • Winter (January to April)
  • Summer (First session: May–June, second session: July–August)

For more information, consult the university calendar (French only).


What is a semester?

A semester refers to a 15 week period of instruction, including exams and evaluation. The summer semester has fewer course offerings than the fall and winter semesters, when most classes are taught.

For more information, visit the page describing the Québec education system.


What is Reading Week?

Classes do not meet during this time, giving students the opportunity to further their reading and work on assignments. Reading Weeks are scheduled during both the fall and winter semesters.

Reading Week (semaine de lecture) dates are available in the university calendar (French only).


Does Université Laval offer subject courses in English?

The Faculty of Business Administration offers some courses in English. The Faculty of Letters offers programs in English studies and in teaching English as a second language. 


What visas or study permits are needed to attend Université Laval?

Students visiting longer than six months must obtain a Québec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ) for studies and a study permit. If you are not a Canadian citizen or permanent resident and wish to study in Québec, you must obtain a CAQ from Québec’s Ministère de l’Immigration et des Communautés culturelles. The CAQ is a prerequisite to obtaining a study permit and temporary resident visa from Citizenship and Immigration Canada.

For clear, concise information about requirements for studying in Québec, please consult the Foreign Student Guide (PDF)


Do non-Canadian students need to have health and hospitalization insurance

Yes, they must enrol in a group health and hospitalization insurance plan (PDF) for international students for the duration of their stay in Canada. No personal insurance is accepted. Note that the Québec government has reciprocal social security agreements with the following countries: Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Luxembourg, Norway, Portugal, and Sweden. If you are covered by this agreement, you will be exempt from the group health insurance and hospitalization plan for international students.


Is on-campus housing available?

There are four residences on campus, two of them coed. For more information on costs, room availability, and other possible living arrangements, visit the UL Residence Office website.


When will I need to arrive?

You should arrive at least one week prior to the start of your classes so you have time to complete your registration at the Registrar’s Office, settle in, and get used to your surroundings. 


What should I do to get a copy of my transcript sent to my home institution?

Under Québec law, a transcript will be sent to your home institution only if you request it. For more information, visit the transcript section (French only) of the Registrar’s Office website.