Making a sustainable mark on the world


International Office
Maison Eugène-Roberge
2325, rue des Arts
Université Laval
Québec City, Québec G1V 0A6

Phone: 418-656-3994
Fax: 418-656-2531

Monday to Friday
8:30 a.m.–noon and 1:00–4:30 p.m.


Frequently Asked Questions

Visiting Students


How long do I have to attend my home institution before I can do a visiting student exchange at Université Laval?

Before doing an exchange, you must complete the equivalent of at least one year of full-time study in your selected program.


How long can I study at Université Laval as a visiting student?

Exchanges are for a maximum of two semesters.


Do I remain enrolled at their home institution while on exchange at Université Laval?

Yes, you remain enrolled full time.


Which institution do I pay tuition fees to as a visiting student?

You pay tuition to your home institution.


Can I use credits earned at Université Laval toward a diploma at my home institution?

Yes, the course equivalency system makes it possible for you to receive credit from your home institution for courses you successfully complete at UL.


Will I continue to receive the same amount of financial aid I am entitled to at my home institution?

Yes. But you will need to contact your home institution to receive financial aid.


Does Université Laval offer financial support to visiting students taking part in exchange programs?

No. You must contact your home institution to find out whether financial aid is available.


What level of French is required to be admitted as a visiting student?

To be admitted, you should score 750 or better on the Test de français international (TFI).


What can I do if my level of French is not high enough?

To help you improve your linguistic skills, the Université Laval École de langues (ELUL) offers intensive, five-week French courses for non-native speakers during the summer, as well as intensive programs in French as a foreign or second language during the fall and winter semesters. If your French is at the appropriate level after these courses, you will be able to enrol in the program of your choice.


Are international students entitled to work while visiting UL?

You will need to obtain a work permit from Citizenship and Immigration Canada in order to be able to work off-campus. However, work permits are not required for campus employment if you hold a valid study permit. Consult the UL Placement Service website (French only) to learn more about job opportunities.

We recommend, however, that you set aside enough money to cover your living expenses before coming to Québec. Working here can enhance your experience, but it should not be considered necessary in order to pay your way.


How many courses will I have to take as a visiting student at UL?

To be considered a full-time student, you must register for at least four (4) three-credit courses per semester. It’s not unusual for students to take five courses per semester.


How much should I budget for my stay at Université Laval?

You should expect to spend at least $6,000 (CAD) per semester.


When can I register for my courses?

Once you have arrived at Université Laval and reported to the Registrar’s Office, you will need to meet with the person in charge of registration in your program. You will receive an admission letter from UL outlining the steps you will need to follow.


As a visiting student, can I take courses outside the program that I have selected?

The majority of your courses (three or four) must be part of your selected program.